Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Three solar shower bags http://goo.gl/DjEuy




It’s Sunday morning and I have absolutely nothing planned for the day. The only decent option I can think of is to take the kids and head over to my parent’s to spend the entire day there for a swim and just relax a bit. At the same time I’m thinking why not bring a couple of solar camping shower bags that I have lying around the house and do some tests while I’m at it. I’m sure there are people out there who would like to know how 3 solar shower bags fare against each other in a fierce competition of which one heats up faster, right? Hmm, maybe not but I’ll post it anyway ;) You’ll thank me later when you’re thinking about purchasing a portable camping shower and you have no idea which one to get.

Let the testing begin:
camping shower
At noon exactly I filled all three bags with water and layed them down on a long chair
: Seattle Sports 2.5-gallons, Stearns Sunshower 2.5-gallons and Texsport Camp Shower 5-gallons. As you can see the Texsport and Stearns shower bags are upside down with the clear side facing direct sunlight as per the instructions of each manufacturer. The Seattle Sports shower bag doesn’t specify which side needs to be facing up so I guessed and placed it with the front of the bag facing up.


camping shower bag

I
left them there under the sun for three hours(which is the average time that a shower bag needs to heat up the water to an acceptable water temperature for a shower) and then hung all three solar shower bags on a tree branch and used a thermometer to measure the temperature of each:




- Texsport Camp Shower 5-gallons: 90°F(32.2°C)

- Seattle Sports 2.5-gallons: 91°F(32.8°C)

- Stearns Sunshow
er 2.5-gallons: 95°F(35°C).

The outside temperature was 77°F(25°C) with some cloudy periods so the sun was shining down for about 50% of the time during the 3 hours so you can imagine that the water could have been much warmer under continuous sunshine.

As you can see from the pictures below, I showered with each of them(still talking about shower bags) to get a feel of the differences in temperature and water pressure.


stearns sunshowerSeattle Sports Solar Showersolar camping shower

Final thoughts

First, I was surprised that the Texsport was able to heat up the water to almost the same level as the other two because it had to heat up double the amount of water in the same amount of time. I’m also wondering if I shouldn’t have turned the Seattle Sports shower bag on the other side with lettering side facing down(I read the instructions and it doesn't mention anything… ooops, I just checked the box and it says:"black body for heat absorption" I guess it's now confirmed that the side with the lettering works since that's where it points to on the box.
There, took a snapshot to prove it to you.
Looks like the Stearns Sunshower performed well today and I might add that it provides the best water pressure out of the three camping showers(although it also means that you have less time to shower since the bag is empty before you know it). Why does it flow faster than the other two models? The shower hose is wider than on the other two camping shower models. That’s not something you notice when comparing models by looking at their pictures on the Internet.

Other thoughts
Hmm, it sure helps to be Hercules to lift up a 5-gallon shower bag high up in a tree ;)
Read more at blog.campingshowerworld.com
 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to discuss this, I feel strongly about it and love learning more on this topic. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me. camping shower bag

    ReplyDelete